Privacy Policies and Cookie Policies in Canada
The 10 fair information principles outlined by Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) ensure ethical and transparent data collection that allows Canadian users to give informed consent to use their personal information with the knowledge and assurance that their details will be safeguarded and used responsibly.
- Identifying Purposes
- Limiting Collection
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
- Individual Access
- Challenging Compliance
Any commercial activity (including websites, mobile apps, and desktop apps) that uses, collects, or discloses personal information is covered by the regulations set in place by PIPEDA in Canada. Following these principles allows Canadian users to give a website informed consent to use their personal information with the knowledge and assurance that their details will be safeguarded and used responsibly.
What Are Cookies and How Do They Work?
Cookies are clusters of data that are collected from users and stored locally on their computer after visiting a website. There are a variety of cookies that all serve a different purpose. Among these are:
- Session Cookies that disappear when you close your browser
- Persistent Cookies that stay on your computer to remember settings and user preferences
- Third Party Cookies which allow third parties to analyze their ad performance
- First Party Cookies that are set by the website owner and improve the functionality of a website
- Marketing Cookies that show more relevant ads to site visitors
- Performance and Analytical Cookies that help a company assess their website’s usability
Any personal information that has been collected from users through a website’s cookies may only be used for the express purpose for which it was collected.
- An introduction that explains the purpose of the organization/website, along with any special functions or conditions for collecting information
- Details about data collection, ensuring visitors are informed on what information is being collected
- How information is collected, whether collection is automated, and how the information will be processed
- Details of how and where visitor information is stored
- Contact details to offer transparency and open communication between the website owner and
- the site’s users